January 23, 2013

Ham Steak For One




You guys...when I tell you that my house just smelled like Christmas and breakfast all wrapped in one..you just have to go with it and believe me.  It really smelled incredible in here.  This Ham brought on all of the smells and joys of a holiday Ham for dinner and then that Saturday morning
"wake up call" of the house just enveloped with ahhhh yes, breakfast scents. Mmmmm. I love ham. I love it for breakfast and brunch.  I also love it for dinner.  Remember breakfast for dinner?  That's never a bad choice. But tonight's dinner was definitely under the category of dinner.  There were no eggs and there was no toast.  This dinner consisted of one Ham Steak, cooked to a golden brown perfection with just a little bit of butter,  salt and pepper.  It was accompanied by a lovely can of pumpkin puree "mash" as I like to call it, and a spicy mustard sauce.

My mom used to make this a lot when I was a bit younger..maybe ten years ago.  I won't name any dates. ;-)  She usually served it with some kind of greens and rice or sweet potatoes.  I think we normally ate this during the warm months,because she used to put the ham steaks on the grill.  But this can clearly be eaten up at any time.  They are great grilled or in a frying pan.  What I also love about these steaks is that you just  simply keep them refrigerated. They don't expire quickly.  They last a good three months. This is ideal when I go to the food store.  I try to purchase things that last a while. It's much easier, saves money, and is less worrisome. I used to despise food shopping and get very intimidated by all of the...well, food.  That can be for another time though.

This dish was so very simple, yet, really delicious.  Every single flavor incorporated just went so very well together.  I even enjoyed it with a glass of Sweet Green Tea.  It's nothing like a Mint Julep or anything, but I sure felt like I was in the South, I wish I was....it's so frigid on the East Coast right now.  Thankfully, January is rapidly coming to an end....meh.




Make this if you adore ham. Or if you just want to bottle up the scents of Christmas and Breakfast. :-)
New candle scent anyone?  Right?

Ham Steak with Spicy Mustard Sauce

Ingredients for the Ham:

1-2 Ham steaks (The Hickory Smoked Flavor is the best for this in my opinion).
1-2 T. Butter or margarine
Dash black pepper
Dash salt

Melt the butter in a frying pan or spray down a grill with non-stick cooking spray.  Brown to golden  and a touch crispy on both sides.


Ingredients for the Pumpkin "Mash":

1 can of pumpkin puree
1/3 cup orange juice
1/4 cup lite brown sugar
Dash of cinnamon
Pinch of salt

Put all ingredients in a sauce pan, mix well until nice and hot and the juice has absorbed.


Ingredients for the spicy mustard sauce:

2 T. Dijon Mustard
1 T. Spicy Brown Mustard
1 T. Honey

The sauce is balanced well with spicy and sweet. You just can't go wrong with good ham and a good mustard sauce. I put a dollop of light sour cream on top of the pumpkin mash. It makes it extra creamy and gives it a swift kick of tang. So Good!  Enjoy!











 
The perfect bite! Seriously!





1 comment:

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS